Coloratura Christian

I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. (Psalm 34:4-5)

Monday, October 24, 2005

Some Thoughts on Wisdom Living


What is wisdom living? My favorite cowboy says in his post here, "Wisdom is concerned with the art of living skillfully before God within the covenantal relationship with Him, and by consequence, with the world."

It seems that Christians have largely neglected the art of "living skillfully" as revealed in scripture, and consequently, are easily influenced by the current views of the culture in their lifestyle. Perhaps some view the physical or practical matters of life as being opposed to spiritual life. Cultivating wise living here on earth and "seeking a better homeland"(Heb. 11:14) may seem like mutually exclusive concepts, but closer study shows that these two biblical ideas are in perfect unity. According to the cowboy, "The fact that an entire genre of biblical literature is devoted to Wisdom should alert pastors to the importance of such teaching." So why do we not devote more thought to this subject?

Exemplified for us in the wisdom literature is balanced and quality living. There is the exhortation to work hard, but also to enjoy the fruit of those labors; to eat and drink, but avoid gluttony; to celebrate sex, but flee adultery; to pursue study and books, but not excessively; to build great things, but not love money. There is instruction for every aspect of living well.

One thing we must be wary of as we pursue wisdom living is becoming overly attached to the blessings of living well. As Job says after all his property and family are destroyed, “"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. We must not be presumptuous in the Lord's blessings to us. We do not have a right to them, they are not owed to us. Loving good things as an end in themselves is not good enough, they must draw our thoughts to God, and cause us to meditate on His beauty.

7 Comments:

  • At October 25, 2005, Blogger Ian Hugh Clary said…

    We shouldn't pursue study and books excessively?!? I think I'm going to take you off of my blogroll.

    ;)

     
  • At October 25, 2005, Blogger Sarah Fullerton said…

    Welcome to the blogosphere, Christel! I've been enjoying reading your favourite cowboy's blog:-), and now look forward to keeping up with yours...

     
  • At October 25, 2005, Blogger Chad said…

    I'm with Ian on this one, without excessive book study, how could I know the wise and balancing fact that the Roman's while failing to subject Scptland to direct rule for a variety of reasons, nevertheless had outposts as far north as Kincardineshire, giving them, in reality effective control of the entirety of the British Isles. Now without that kind of excessive knowledge where would we be!?

    Just kidding. I love your blog. It is just the think to pass on to a number of girls my wife and I have had the opportunity to minister to and who are confused about what they see as "western culture" and its "benifits" for their lives.

    Thanks for bring these great issues up, from a wise female point of view.

     
  • At October 25, 2005, Blogger Christel Humfrey said…

    Chad and Ian,

    "Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecclesiastes 12:12
    Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger. :)

    Sarah,

    So you are a mother of 1.95, eh? Congratulations on your soon to be born baby! Thanks for your comment...I'm looking forward to keeping up with your blog too (now that I know about it).

     
  • At October 25, 2005, Blogger Ian Hugh Clary said…

    Oooooh, an appeal to the Bible. Touche!

     
  • At October 26, 2005, Blogger Ian Hugh Clary said…

    Hey Coluratura, just wondering if you guys saw this: http://theologica.blogspot.com/2005/10/cj-and-carolyn-mahaney.html
    It looks pretty good, Vicky really appreciated what Carolyn had to say in one of her books.

     
  • At October 27, 2005, Blogger Christel Humfrey said…

    Ian,

    Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be listening to those messages.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home