Coloratura Christian

I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. (Psalm 34:4-5)

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Data-Stream Worship?


Lately I've been enjoying this worship blog by Marc Heinrich, further up & further in music. He links to a variety of other interesting blog posts on music and worship. I found particularly interesting this one on "data- stream worship". Apparently, it's being argued that hymns are not relevant anymore because they only "recite data about God," and today's generation wants to skip the "doctrinal Cliff Notes" and talk directly to God.

2 Comments:

  • At November 18, 2005, Blogger Tom Gee said…

    While rejecting the incredible wealth of older hymns would be utter folly, I confess that I appreciate the "first person" form of many modern worship songs.

    I think worship needs to incorporate both great truths of God and his character, as well as opportunities to address God directly and prayerfully. We need to worship God both objectively and experientially; to sing our theology and our emotion.

    Surely the Psalms exemplify this approach, with a mixture of both.

     
  • At November 19, 2005, Blogger Christel Humfrey said…

    Hi Tomgee,

    I am still assembling my thoughts on the subject, and I would like to write more on it later. Thanks for your comment and for your insightful blog post that you linked to.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home