Coloratura Christian

I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. (Psalm 34:4-5)

Monday, December 05, 2005

A Sleepless Night in Toronto

I'm a little groggy this morning after our neighbors kept us up most of the night with their fighting. We finally called the police at 3:30 and were able to get to sleep around 5 am.

It makes me so sad to see the consequences of sin, namely, that a man would want to abuse and manipulate his wife instead of protect her, and that a woman would want to have control and get her way no matter who she hurts and what the cost. Hearing the dark and malicious words coming through the wall felt very oppressive. I am so thankful that there is hope for this dark and dying world. What a stark contrast last night was to" the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."

I still feel heavy hearted about last night, but I am overwhelmingly thankful for the abundant goodness God has manifested to us, and the glorious truth that sets us free from the bondage and ugliness of sin.

I read this morning from Jesus' words in John 15:9-11,
As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

It gave me great pleasure to think about abiding in Christ's love, and the joy we have in Him, and He in us, when we walk according to His commandments.

I am also reminded of the kindness of God displayed to me in my husband, who always protects me and always points me to Christ. I pray that I would never be presumptuous on God's grace by taking for granted my godly husband who has been an intrument of grace in my life.

3 Comments:

  • At December 06, 2005, Blogger Julian Freeman said…

    Thanks for the post, Christel.

    My wife and I had some similar experiences (on multiple occasions) in our old apartment. It is scary, scary stuff to hear.

    It is very insightful how you brought out the connection between sin (the fall of man) and its effects (the warping of God-given roles in a relationship).

    I found Wayne Grudem particularly helpful in his analysis of Genesis 3 and the consequences of sin in the marriage relationship. Apparently, the Hebrew construction translated "and your desire shall be for him" should be better translated "and your desire shall be against him," as if to usurp his authority.

    And the word for "rule" spoken to her ("he will 'rule' over you") refers to a harsh domination, often implying physical oppression.

    Sin has inverted that marriage relationship so that the one who was supposed to submit and be protected attempts to usurp while the one who was to protect attempts to dominate.

    Oh, how we need a Saviour!

     
  • At December 06, 2005, Blogger Christel Humfrey said…

    Thanks for the great comment Julian. I enjoyed meeting you and your wife at Grace Fellowship Church the other week.

     
  • At December 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Christel, I understand so much what your saying. As a social worker student I see so many things that make me want to crawl under my bed and wait for Jesus to return, or that make me want to cry because the reality of a world without Him is so incredibly, deeply painful. It makes me more and more thankful that I know what it feels like to live under Christs love and grace, and I wish everyday that the people I meet in these situations could understand that too.
    I hope you caught up on your sleep and are feeling a bit better about things ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home