Coloratura Christian

I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. (Psalm 34:4-5)

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Informed Conscience and OCP

I went to see my doctor the other day in continuation of my research on whether the oral contraceptive (birth control) pill is abortive.

She confirmed that the second back-up method of the pill is abortive (although that is certainly not the term she would use to describe it.)

What I want to know is why it is so difficult to get this information. My experience is that doctors (generally speaking) do not explain fully what the pill does when prescribing it. Neither does the manufacturer (in the insert that comes with the pill for the general public), or the pharmacist (when despensing the pill,) explain what it does.

Despite whether this information leads someone to believe in good conscience that the pill is acceptable (because the chances of causing an abortion are slim enough), or unacceptable (because they are uncomfortable with the possibility of killing babies,) we should still be given all the information we need to make an informed decision.

Because this is a touchy subject, I want to be careful, but I would encourage Christians to take the time to research this issue for themselves (if applicable). Although ignorance can be bliss, I believe that Christians should strive to make responsible decisions, and this requires an informed conscience.

6 Comments:

  • At July 08, 2006, Blogger Ian Hugh Clary said…

    Hey Christel,
    Thanks for this. Definitely serious food for thought and for further study.
    Although I don't think this deals with your specific concern of the pill being abortive, I thought you might find this article interesting: http://davidpfield.com/other/birth_control.pdf
    David Field teaches theology and ethics at Oak Hill College. He blogs at http://www.davidpfield.blogspot.com/
    Hope you find it useful!
    God bless

     
  • At July 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Christel,

    OK. I finally read the research you posted, and I come to the same conclusion as you. Thanks for the links. Now I know.

    Mel :)

     
  • At July 08, 2006, Blogger Christel Humfrey said…

    Hi Ian,
    Thanks for the link. That article was really good. I totally agree with David Field that it is okay to use birth control.

    Say hi to Vicky for me. I miss her!

    Hi Mel,
    You know how you guys told me that I speak with an accent (possibly western canadian.) Well today someone told me I speak like a Torontonian! hehehe I guess I just don't fit in anywhere. :)

     
  • At July 20, 2006, Blogger Yummy Mommy said…

    Hi Christel,
    Jen Pinch here. You have to call me about this issue. It is one of my passions in life! I teach Natural Family Planning as a direct result of decisions Darren and I made after discovering that the birth control pill absolutely does work as abortive for some women some of the time. And it is a chance you are indeed willing to take if you take the pill. Unfortunately, most women have no idea. An easy start to understanding my story and what my husband and I use as birth control is please read my blog (you will have to scroll a little to find the one on Fertility...I wrote it a month ago). http://jenpinch.blogspot.com
    Hope this is helpful. And you can get my phone number anytime from Marlene S. Take care!

     
  • At July 21, 2006, Blogger Christel Humfrey said…

    Hi Jenn,

    Thanks for your comment. I may take you up on that offer. :)

     
  • At June 16, 2010, Blogger joy said…

    today is my first time to visit your blog. i actually found it while looking for info on sarah edwards..anyway.
    in college i read a book on biblical ethics called "Ethics for a Brave New World". It discusses each form of birth control intensely & with a biblical worldview. It helped me immensely when "researching" i agree the drs don't tell us enough.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home