Coloratura Christian

I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. (Psalm 34:4-5)

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Joys of Apartment Living


First it was mice, then cockroaches, and the latest is bedbugs. Yes, BEDBUGS! Apparently they thrive in hotels and apartment buildings moving quickly from room to room.

The day before we flew out to Alberta for Christmas, I had about ten red marks on my shoulder. I thought at first it was some sort of a rash, but most people who saw them thought they must be spider bites.

They faded into nonexistence during our week in Alberta, but after our first night back in TO, I woke up with about 15 to 20 bites on my leg, arm and face (all trailing in a line up the left side of my body). I thought, "this must be an angry spider."

We searched and searched to find the elusive spider in our bedroom, but to no avail. So off to Home Depot to buy spider Raid. We sprayed the floor and base of the bed, and thought if he was hiding in the bed, this would surely kill him.

Mysteriously, Clint didn't have a bite on him. Perhaps the spider was hiding on my side of the bed? Clint was gracious enough to switch sides of the bed with me so I could try to get some sleep that night.

For the next two nights, I received two new bites a night on my hip and leg. Less than before, but the bites were still swollen, red and itchy, and I wasn't about to let this keep happening. Either this spider was incredibly resilient, or this was not a spider biting me. And why was Clint not getting bitten?

Needless to say, we figured out that we have bed bugs, and have taken measures to deal with them. I have now had three biteless nights, but I have yet to sleep through the night for fear of blood-sucking bugs crawling on me.

Apart from a single break down the first night after we discovered the bedbugs, God has been gracious in helping me to deal with my fear (which was no small thing). Perhaps this is training ground for becoming a real farm wife. After my downtown Toronto experience, the creepy crawly creatures on our Alberta farm seem a little tamer.

7 Comments:

  • At January 03, 2006, Blogger Dan Sudfeld said…

    That's funny (Probably not for you)! Just looking at the time of your post (2:36 am), I'd say that you have decided to solve the bedbug problem by not going to bed.

     
  • At January 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I thought I could just share these words of wisdom that my Great Aunt Tibbie always used to say to us before bed time.

    "Good night. Sleep tight.
    Don't let the bed bugs bite!
    If they do, squeeze them tight,
    and they wont bite another night."

    Perhaps you didn't squeeze them tight enough?

    Anyway, I'm glad that you've had a couple bedbug free nights, and hope they continue.

     
  • At January 04, 2006, Blogger Marlene S. said…

    So this is why you weren't blogging... bite recovery time. Glad to hear you've gotten the problem under control. Just a few months ago I thought Dawson had bedbugs. Dan just laughed at me. Maybe I will have to consider it a "mite" more seriously:) Happy New Year!!

     
  • At January 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Um, out of curiosity, did you ever figure out why Clint wasn't bitten?

     
  • At January 05, 2006, Blogger Christel Humfrey said…

    Dan, I think my time was set wrong, but thanks for the sympathy. :)

    Elisha,
    hahahahaha. As I was telling you at the studio, people love to quote me that little rhyme ever since our bedbug incident. However, it's more funny for them than for me. :)

    Marlene, If you lived in an apartment in downtown Toronto, I'd take the bedbug suspicions a 'mite' more seriously, but I'm sure you don't have anything to worry about in sunny Alberta. :)

    Mel, I have no idea why Clint wasn't bitten. The same thing happened to another couple in our building. She had a lot of bites, he didn't have any.

    I read somewhere that people react differently to bedbug bites. Some people don't even know that they're bitten, others have small red marks and others receive big red welts. Maybe Clint and I are just the two extremes?

     
  • At January 05, 2006, Blogger Dan Sudfeld said…

    I read somewhere that bedbugs like musicians and have something against cowboys... NOT! :-)

     
  • At January 06, 2006, Blogger Christel Humfrey said…

    hahahaha

     

Post a Comment

<< Home