Coloratura Christian

I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. (Psalm 34:4-5)

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Pilates and Intelligent Design


I just completed four intensive hours of anatomy, the first step in my pilates teacher training certification.

The intricate and complex design of the human body is a little overwhelming to comprehend. Tonight I have only scratched the surface of the muscular and skeletal systems, and yet I am struck by how each of the many muscles, ligaments, tendons and bones are integrated so perfectly for the human body to function.

Each detail has reason behind it, and a distinct purpose in the masterpiece of the human body. The study of anatomy points strongly to a Designer. Even the instructor who said:
"We don't really need the psoas minor any more, it was only necessary when we walked on all fours",

could say in the next breath,
"The way the femur attaches into the hip socket is a genius design."

And later another student asked,
"Why is the lumbar spine designed like...um...I mean...whatever you believe...what is the purpose of it's limited range of motion in rotation?"

As we saw the purpose and function of everything, it was pretty difficult to talk about the human body as mere random chance. Presupposing evolution made it hard for anyone to ask "why?" without contradicting themselves.

I am reminded of Psalm 139:
For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there were none of them.

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
Creation undeniably points to the glory of the Creator. What joy to know that we are "fearfully and wonderfully made" in a way that transcends even our profound physical make-up. Studying anatomy has helped me appreciate again the wonder of God having "intricately woven" us in secret. Who can comprehend the greatness of the mind of God?

5 Comments:

  • At January 11, 2006, Blogger Ian Hugh Clary said…

    Great post. It's funny how the blatantly obvious can be blinded by a haze of sin. Well, not funny but sad.
    I have a cool book called "The Human Body: An Intelligent Design" by Alan L. Gillen, Frank J. Sherwin III and Alan C. Knowles that you'd be more than welcome to borrow. It has tonnes of illustrations, historical facts about various scientists who were Christians, as well as explanations of design in the human body. It's good.

     
  • At January 11, 2006, Blogger Christel Humfrey said…

    Hi Ian,
    That book sounds interesting! I'd like to borrow it from you at some point. Thanks for pointing it out.

     
  • At January 11, 2006, Blogger Sarah Fullerton said…

    I've thought a lot about this through both pregnancies and as I watch our children learn and grow... I don't see how anyone who's ever really looked at a newborn or knows anything about in utero development can believe that it happens by random chance! Romans 1 comes to mind - they can only be suppressing the truth!

     
  • At January 26, 2006, Blogger Marlene S. said…

    Not sure when you'll be back to bloggging after all your extermination stuff... but I've tagged you.:)

     
  • At January 28, 2006, Blogger Christel Humfrey said…

    Hi Marlene,
    I would like to start blogging again. I've been so busy with my pilates certification that I haven't had time to sit down and write anything.

    What did you tag me for?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home