Coloratura Christian

I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. (Psalm 34:4-5)

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Grossed Out By the Cost of Sin

Martha_Martha has been posting on law and gospel. It is something that has also peeked my interest lately because I have been reading Leviticus. This time, I am going through it in more detail than I have previously, and pretty much every morning when I read, I'm totally disgusted.

The things they had to do in order to appease God's wrath against their sin under the law horrifies me. It makes me extremely thankful that we live in a time where Christ has fulfilled the law. (Matt. 5:17)

Although, I suppose when the priests performed those awful sacrifices, it would be a good reminder of just how disgusting sin actually is.

It seems like we, living under the new covenant, often view our sin through 'rose colored glasses.' It's so typical of Evangelicals to downplay the gravity of sin and therefore downplay the significance of the cross.

As my favorite cowboy likes to joke, "If you're going to wear a cross around your neck, you might as well wear an electric chair as ornamentation." I suppose if you were going to make a comparison, execution on a cross is a lot more grotesque than execution by an electric chair, and yet too often we think of Christ's death for our sin as a sanitized and almost romanticized event.

...He had no form or majesty that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him. He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he has borne our grief's and carried our sorrows;yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed. (Is 53)

5 Comments:

  • At February 26, 2006, Blogger Son of Man said…

    God has a way of stressing a point in your life. Your post was a part of God's work in showing me something. The enormity of our sin, the horror of Gethsemane, and the gruesome event of Golgotha. Todd Friel highlights some awesome parts of a CJ Mahaney sermon on Gethsemane. CJ's approach to this portion of scripture is inspiring. CJ's sermon is the 8th down the list. http://www.ttwministries.com/audio.php?topicId=13

     
  • At February 26, 2006, Blogger Marlene S. said…

    Michael W. Smith sang a song a few years back with the line, "why do you wear your cross?". It kind of probed into the pop-culture of cross jewellery that is completed disconnected to people's lives. It made me consider my own "decorations" seriously.

    Good to hear from you. Hope you aren't upset by my "urgings" via Clint.

    Blessings for the coming week.

     
  • At February 27, 2006, Blogger Sarah Fullerton said…

    I was actually going to post something on that in the next day or two, but now I'll probably just post a link to your post:-) I read the portion in Exodus about the consecration of the priests and tabernacle and have never been so struck before by how violent and bloody the whole thing was! And yet that was what God required to appease his wrath over our sin! Understanding more of the Law and sacrificial system makes the Gospel all the more beautiful!

     
  • At February 27, 2006, Blogger Christel Humfrey said…

    Joshua,
    Thanks for the link!

    Hi Marlene,
    I'm not upset at all. :) Just to clarify, I don't think it's necessarily wrong to wear a cross. In fact, I think I have a necklace with a cross on it. However, like you said, the "pop-culture of cross jewellery" does trivialize the cross of Christ.

    Hi Sarah,
    I totally agree with what you said! "Understanding more of the Law and sacrificial system makes the Gospel all the more beautiful!"

     
  • At March 01, 2006, Blogger Marlene S. said…

    Yeah, I too have two cross necklaces. Interestingly, one I received from my sister around the time MWS wrote the song. It was timely that the events corresponded for me.

    Thanks for the post,again.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home